Virginia Tech®home

Student Forms

For the College of Science

Please note:

Forms that are in fillable-PDF format  need to be DOWNLOADED to your computer and completed. Contact your departmental advisor for how to turn in your form for a department signature.

E-forms, when available, are linked below.

The forms on this page are for general use in the College of Science.  For more information on major-specific advising, visit your department's webpage.

Graduate students will find their forms on the graduate school's website

  • Students who wish to appeal their academic suspension for reasons other than medical issues should use this form.
  • If your appeal is based upon physical, psychiatric or disability/learning disability reasons, you will need a letter of recommendation from the appropriate office, as noted on page one of Schiffert Health Center, Cook Counseling, or Services with Students with Disabilities. To receive such a letter, you will need to complete an academic relief request for an additional probationary term.
academic-appeals.pdf Academic Appeal Petition
  • You are currently on probation or suspension, both of which place you in a serious academic status.
Academic Probation Suspension Assessment and Success Plan.pdf Academic Probation/Suspension Assessment and Success Plan Form
  • Your most recent semester GPA was below a 2.0 while your overall GPA is still above a 2.0. Although you are still in good academic standing (a 2.0 or higher), we are concerned about your most recent performance. 
  • A hold will be placed on your student account until you complete the assessment and meet with your advisor. 
academic-warning-assessment.pdf Academic Warning Assessment
  • If you are studying at a domestic college or university please use the Authorization to Take Courses in the United States form.
  • Consult the University Registrar’s Transfer Guide to review the policies that apply to transfer credit. The transfer guide can help you determine how domestic credit will transfer back to Virginia Tech.
  • If the domestic course is not listed in the transfer guide, you will need to submit a course description or a syllabus for the course with your completed form.
  • Complete all fields on the form and have the appropriate person in your department sign it prior to turning it in to our office. 
  • The appropriate person in the department will submit the form to the College of Science Dean's Office. Transfer credit evaluations can take up to six weeks. Start this process early so that you will know how your credits will transfer before leaving the Virginia Tech campus.
take-courses-elsewhere.pdf Authorization to Take Courses Elsewhere (US)

If you are planning to study abroad with another institution please fill out the attached form and meet with the Study Abroad Office. You must also meet with your academic advisor and Susan Haymore in the College of Science Dean’s Office. To schedule an appointment please call the Dean’s Office at 540-231-5145.


study-abroad.pdf Authorization to Take Courses Elsewhere -Study Abroad
If you are seeking to change your PRIMARY MAJOR, that process is completed in HokieSpa > Change of Major Application (Undergraduate) by the University designated change of major deadlines. Click to view step-by-step instructions
The Request to Change of Secondary Major, Minor, or Option Form must be signed by an academic advisor in the department.
Visit the departmental websites to learn how to make an appointment and submit the form to an academic advisor based on major or minor.
Once the form is submitted to the academic advisor, they will submit the form to the College of Science Dean's Office for processing.
change-major-minor.pdf Change a Major or Minor

Students can request a course be reviewed to determine if it fulfills a specific General Education requirement.

General Education substitutions are approved by Dean’s Office for the following: 

General Education substitutions are approved by the General Education Office for the following: 

  • Non-equivalent transfer courses (e.g. VT 1xxx or HIST 2xxx) 
  • Equivalent transfer courses 
  • VT courses not approved as Pathways Concept
  • VT courses approved for a different Pathways Concept than desired 
  • Courses taken OR to-be-taken abroad (so pre OR post approval) 
  • After meeting with your academic advisor, students can complete the Pathways/CLE Course Review Request Google Form
  • Use this form if you would like to withdraw from a course after the drop deadline
  • If you have used your 3 withdraws, the Associate Dean cannot approve your request. The withdrawal policy is set by the University.
  • Meet with your advisor to discuss the change that you want to make.
  • Your course may continue to show up in Canvas after you withdraw from the course.  The course will remain on your schedule. In HokieSpa, it will have the grade mode of "Course Withdraw." A grade of “W” for the course will show up on your transcript after the end of the semester. 

This form is for students whose primary major is in the College of Science.

The Pass/Fail (P/F) grading system is available to encourage students to enrich their academic programs and explore more challenging courses outside their majors, without the pressures and demands of the regular grading system.

This option may only be used for free elective classes.

  1. You cannot change a course to the Pass/Fail grading system if the course is required for your major, minor or for General Education
  2. You must have passed at least 30 credit hours at Virginia Tech and have a minimum 2.00 cumulative GPA
  3. No more than two (2) courses may be taken Pass/Fail per term, not including required courses offered on a Pass/Fail basis only
  4. Students are permitted to only take 12 credits Pass/Fail throughout their time at Virginia Tech

Use this Pass/Fail Request Form to change your grade mode by the Last day to change grade option from A-F to P/F. You may email the Pass/Fail Form directly to the Registrar’s Office at


This form is used for College of Science students requesting to change a final exam for one of the following reasons:

  1. You have three (3) or more final exams within 24 hours
  2. You have two (2) exams at the same time

Exam change requests due to travel, business, or family plan will not be approved.

*Instructor’s signature is required
*Student’s signature is required

Upload your documents to the COS Dean’s Office Document Portal. Use this form if you have 3 or more exams within a 24-hour period or there is a conflict with an exam time.

exam-change-request.pdf Exam Change Request

Request permission to late add, late drop, or change the grade mode on a course after the published deadlines. Extenuating circumstances are required for a request to be considered.


Obsolete Credit may be requested if any Virginia Tech student seeks to return to complete their degree after an absence from Virginia Tech for five (5) consecutive years. Obsolete credit will refresh the overall and in-major GPA.

  • Students will need to complete a minimum of 25% of the required hours in-residence at Virginia Tech (30 credit hours for a 120 credit hour degree program) as new coursework.
  • Students will also need to complete the Obsolete Credit Rule Evaluation Record and may review their unofficial or official transcript to indicate courses on the form.
  • Courses with a grade of C or higher (including (P) Pass) will be allowed for credit for a degree
  • Courses with a grade of C- or lower, will not be allowed for credit for a degree.
COS-Obsolete-Credit-Request.pdf COS Request for Obsolete Credit
  • Use this form if you would like to take over 19 credits in the fall or spring semesters, over 6 credits in the winter session, or 18 credits in summer session.
  • List all of the classes you are taking including the courses that will cause the course overload.
  • You are still responsible for adding the extra courses if your request is approved, unless you are adding an independent study or undergraduate research.
overhours-request.pdf Request for Overload (Overhours)

Students wishing to drop ALL courses and discontinue enrollment at Virginia Tech for various reasons will complete the Student Withdrawal/Resignation Form.

To drop all your courses before the start of the semester/session:

If you are withdrawing from Virginia Tech before classes begin for the semester/session, please complete the Student/Withdrawal Resignation Form and submit it to the Office of the University Registrar.

*Only the student’s signature is required

Dropping all your courses on or after the first day of classes but prior to the deadline to resign without grade penalty:

If you are resigning from Virginia Tech on or after the first day of classes for the semester/session but prior to the deadline to resign without academic penalty, please complete the Student/Withdrawal Resignation Form with the appropriate signatures and submit it to the COS Dean’s Office Document Portal.

Additional signatures may be required if:

  • You live in a residence hall
  • You are affiliated with the Corps of Cadets
  • You are an international student

Once all appropriate signatures are on the form, the Associate Dean for Undergraduate Programs will sign and submit the form to the Registrar’s Office on your behalf.

Department Advising Sites

Department Majors Minors
Biological Sciences Majors Minors
Chemistry Majors Minors
Economics Majors Minors
Geosciences Majors Minors
Mathematics Majors Minors
Physics Majors Minors
Psychology Majors Minors
Statistics Majors Minors
Academy of Integrated Science Majors Minors
School of Neuroscience Majors  


Contact Science advising.

Find Us

College of Science
North End Center, Suite 4300
300 Turner St NW
Blacksburg, VA 24061