Charles L. Harowitz
Charles L. Harowitz earned a bachelor’s degree in chemistry from Virginia Tech in 1948. A proud veteran, his studies were interrupted when he entered into the U.S. Army during World War II, where he served until 1946.
Upon graduation from Virginia Tech, Harowitz went on to a successful career in the chemical industry. His career began at Virginia Carolina Chemical Company where he was a research chemist. Later at Mobil Chemical Company, Harowitz served in a number of leadership positions including in sales, marketing, and business development. After retiring, Harowitz continued to work in the industry as a management consultant.
An enthusiastic supporter of Virginia Tech, Harowitz was a long-time member of the Dean’s Roundtable Advisory Board for the College of Science and its predecessor, the College of Arts and Sciences. A member of the university’s Ut Prosim Society, he established the Florine H. and Charles L. Harowitz Endowed Scholarship in the College of Science that is awarded annually to a chemistry student who demonstrates both academic and personal achievement. Additionally, Harowitz was a dedicated supporter of the Corps of Cadets, the Judaic Studies Program, and Virginia Tech Athletics.
Harowitz was active in several other organizations. He served on the board of directors for Temple Beth-El in Richmond, Va., Shenandoah Valley Westminster-Canterbury in Winchester, Va., the Virginia Kidney Foundation, and Richmond-on-the-James Sertoma Club.
Harowitz passed away on December 7, 2015.