We are reimagining scientific education to prepare our students for making meaningful contributions to 21st century discovery and innovation. We believe that science education and research rooted in transdisciplinary, systems-based approach to inquiry, investigation, and understanding are fundamental to advancing the frontiers of knowledge and addressing the world's most pressing challenges. The pathways to all of the sciences begin here.
The study of global systems and their components and how they affect all aspects of life. How are they impacted by human behavior? How they can be employed to promote well-being? How can we lead more sustainable lives? Our researcher scientists from across the college study our planet's past in the formations of continents and the evolution of oxygen, tand work to solve the present day challenges of climate change, infectious diseases, and an ever-growing population.
Data & Decision Science
Including the Adaptave Brain
Research in Data Analytics and Decision Sciences advances the transmutation of data into decisions, while also appreciating the social and ethical contexts underlying data-driven reasoning. It involves the collection, analysis, and utilization of quantitative and qualitative information that drive decision-making in all areas of human endeavor, including a deeper understanding of the brain and human decision-making, in addition to security, open software, sports, and more.
Materials for Health,
Information, & Energy
The discovery and understanding of advanced materials, including polymers, biomaterials, and bio-inspired materials for health and medicine, the sharing of information, and the generation and storage of energy. Our faculty and student researchers create new tools for a future of sustainability, inlcuding flexible solar cells with variables uses from roofs to home curtains, and a new ionic battery gel that may solve the vexing issues of low charge holds and overheating in cell phones.
Department Research Areas
- Molecular Biology of Cancer
- Vector-Borne Diseases
- Drug Discovery
- Protein Structure-Function
- Host-Pathogen Interactions
- Molecular Microbiology
- Computational Biochemistry
Click here to access the Biochemistry homepage.
- Ecology, Evolution, and Behavior
- Integrative Organismal Biology
- Microbiology/ Immunology
- Molecular, Cell, Developmental, and Computational Biology
- Cell Biology and Molecular Biophysics
- Genetics, Bioinformatics, and Computational Biology
- Molecular Plant Sciences
Click here to access the Biological Sciences homepage.
- Analytical and Envirgonmental Chemistry
- Biological and Bio-Organic Chemistry
- Inorganic and Organometallic Chemistry
- Organic Chemistry
- Physical Chemistry
- Polymer, Materials, and Nano Chemistry
- Theoretical and Computational Chemistry
Click here to access the Chemistry homepage.
- Microeconomic Theory and Game Theory
- Experimental and Behavioral Economics
- Applied Microeconomics
- Resource and Environmental Economics
- Macroeconomics and Finance
Click here to access the Economics homepage.
- Control and Systems Theory
- Geometry and Topology
- Differential Equations and Applications: Partial Differential Equations
- Mathematical Biology/VBI
- Mathematical Physics
- Mathematics Education
- Numerical Analysis and Scientific Computing
Click here to access the Mathematics homepage.
- Aging and Alzheimer
- Behavioral Neuroscience
- Brain Cancer
- Cellular and Molecular Neuroscience
- Clinical Neuroscience
- Cognitive Neuroscience
- Computational Neuroscience
- Human Development
- Nervous System Injury, Repair, and Rehabilitation
- Social Neuroscience
Click here to access the Neuroscience homepage.
- Astronomical Sciences
- Biological Physics
- Biomedical Physics
- Experimental Condensed Matter Physics
- Theoretical Condensed Matter Physics
- Experimental Nuclear and Particle Physics
- Theoretical Particle Physics and String Theory
- Mathematical Physics
Click here to access the Physics homepage.
- Addictions Research
- Applied Behavior Systems
- Health Behavior
- Cognitive Emotion and Self Regulation
- Cognition, Affect, and Psychophysiology
- Language Emotion Attention Perception
- Measurement of Episodic Memory
- Pediatric Psychology
- Psychosocial Interventions
- Social Development
- Stress and Coping
Click here to access the Psychology homepage.
- Bioinformatics, Genomics, and Statistical Genetics
- Environmental and Spatial Statistics
- Mathematical Statistics
- Nonparametric/Semi-parametric Statistics
- Statistical Communication and Collaboration
- Statistical Process Control/ Profile Monitoring
- Statistics Education
- Transportation Statistics
Click here to access the Statistics homepage.
- Molecular Dynamics
- Genes, Proteins, and Metabolites
- Network Topology
- Network Dynamics and Cell Physiology
- Synthetic Biology
- Metabolic Control
- Protein Signaling Networks
- Cancer Etiology, Diagnosis, and Treatment
- Immune System Modeling
- Drug Development
- Microbiome Dynamics
- Infectious Disease Modeling
Click here to access the Systems Biology homepage.